Sunday, December 27, 2009

Play








"Life is nothing to be very serious about. Life is a ball in your hands to play with."
~Ravi Shankar







I really love life. I love everything about it. It's the only game in town, so if you don't love it, you better learn to love it. Or not. That's the beauty of it in a nutshell: You can do whatever you want. You can even choose to hate life if that's what you think you want. I've tried that way of playing, and in the end I decided that it really wasn't very much fun for me. Of course, I learned a lot from the experience. Mostly what I learned was that I really like fun, and since fun goes hand-in-hand with love, hating life was pretty much out of the question.

For a long time I tried hard to figure out what would make my life more fun. And then I figured out that "trying hard to have fun" didn't make any sense, and was never going to work. So I dropped the "trying hard" part, and kept the "have fun" part, and just began enjoying my life. That's it. No more: Oh, but this isn't fun because I lost this, and I don't agree with that, and those people are stupid, and there's some very ugly things going on in the world, and there's some very ugly things going on in my own mind, and so on. Yeah, okay so there's always something to complain about if that's what you choose. And there's always something to be grateful for. It's all about choice.

I am choosing to take things lightly. I'm choosing to play at life with joyful abandon. I'm loving every moment that I have to explore life in this body. It's so much fun! Some parts are less comfortable than others, but that's okay. It's all just part of the game. And I'd rather be playing than complaining.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love you and your posts. I also follow your facebook page - The Mystical Experience.This one especially spoke to me. I, too, have tried the "I hate life" way of playing and "trying too hard to have fun" way of living interchangably for many years, and ended up feeling miserable for the most part. Now that I have seen what doesn't work for me, I am starting to play at life with joy, love and fun. The unbearable lightness of being...

    ReplyDelete