Friday, December 25, 2009

Here is Good


People are where they are because that is exactly where they really want to be - whether they will admit that or not. ~Earl Nightingale

The surface details of my life haven't changed very much in the 7 years that I have lived in my current home. Even so, I'm a lot happier than I was 7 years ago. And my capacity for bliss grows larger everyday.

Three of my children were scheduled to work today, 3 different shifts, beginning at 11AM. When I was younger I would have been resistant to this, and would have interpreted these circumstances to be a great injustice. If I were feeling especially dramatic, I might even have gone so far as to insist this was irrefutable evidence of the unfairness of life itself. Poor me, boo-hoo, blah-blah...

That all gets old after a while. Today my perspective on life has changed. I see life as being fair and balanced. Not only that, but I no longer see life as something that's coming AT me. It's coming FROM me, created by my own thoughts, feelings, and actions with every passing moment.

So our Christmas celebration began at 6AM this Christmas. We opened presents, then went out for breakfast. After a lovely meal, we went to a local Lake Tahoe beach, and slid around on the ice, under a perfect blue sky, snow-covered mountains and trees all around, my husband, our 6 beautiful children, ages 11-20, all of us together in a stunning, life-affirming, magical, winter wonderland. Ahhhhhhh...Life is good.

When it was time to drive Ryan to work, Mother Nature gave us a special treat- the sighting of a huge bear, up in a tree. It had to be 600 pounds minimum. And we never would have seen it if we hadn't been driving Ryan to work.

I'm here because I want to be here. The circumstances of my life are the results of the choices I have made, and all of it happens for my highest good. The more I allow life to be what it is, the better it gets. I see things more clearly, and the love and light that was once invisible to me reveals itself in bold Technicolor, even when nothing on the surface has changed at all.

It's good to be where you are, wherever that is. Everything happens for a reason. And everything that happens is for your benefit. So wherever you are, it's gotta be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment